Many many of you are asking me a very important question: “Why do we have so many people developing Gluten Sensitivities?” Is it for real, or is it due to the media? Is it a fad? Is it due to the fact that we eat too much of it? What are the causes of such an epidemic?
The following is a summary of the multitude of reasons why I think that our population is truly facing a Gluten Sensitivity Epidemic:
1. The gluten of today is NOT the gluten that was available to us 60-70 years ago! When our grandparents ate gluten, it was from a grain that contained about 10% to 20% of gluten. Today’s wheat contains about 90% gluten! The changes have been instituted by the agricultural industry to make the grain more sturdy (better growth) and resistant to pests.
2. In the old days, when grains were harvested manually, they were left in bundles in the middle of the fields in order to dry for about a week, before being separated from the straw. This drying time reduced the amount of gluten in the grain.
3. In the old days, after being separated from the straw, the grains were stored in barns, where additional drying occurred before being used. This drying time allowed more gluten and other anti-nutrients to evaporate naturally. Today, the grains are immediately processed into flours with no time for gluten evaporation.
4. Another important reason is the difference in the way bread is made today versus yesterday. Old fashion bread was made by the slow process of leavening (rising). By leaving the dough to rise slowly for several hours or days, you are reducing the amount of gluten in the process. On the other hand, modern breads are made with fast rising agents that do not require any time before baking. Hence, today’s processing does not allow the gluten content to be reduced through the process of evaporation.
5. At this point in my discussion, I have not yet begun to talk about modern grains! Modern grains contain more gluten than yesterday’s grains; modern flours and breads are fast-tracked processed as noted in Paragraph 4 above. But more importantly, modern grains are now genetically modified (GMO) and sprayed with pesticides (Roundup / Glyphosate)! Several studies done on rats and pigs have shown a huge increase of cancer rates due to GMO!
6. The worst and most dangerous factor of gluten intolerances is the usage of the pesticide GLYPHOSATE developed and sold by the Monsanto Company. Glyphosate is in “Roundup” (Monsanto trademark) herbicide. Dr. Stephanie Seneff, PhD has spent the last 10 years researching the relationship between the usage of Roundup and the epidemics of autism, Alzheimer’s, and cardiovascular diseases. Wheat, corn and soy are often sprayed with Roundup just prior to be harvested, which means that ALL non-organic bread and wheat products sprayed with Roundup contains GLYPHOSATE!
Monsanto claims that Roundup is harmless to humans, and affect plants only by blocking a pathway called the “shikimate pathway”, which is what kills the weeds. But, Dr. Seneff points out that human gut bacteria DO in fact have this “shikimate pathway” (CONTRARY to what Monsanto claims), which basically means that Roundup Glyphosate kills our gut bacteria, and by clear extension, it is basically killing us!
Gut bacteria are indeed one of the first lines of defense in the human immune system as they control pathogens such as viruses, yeasts and parasites. Gut bacteria influence 90% of our body cells; they synthetize amino acids; they produce neurotransmitters; they produce vitamins such as folate and B12, they chelate heavy metals, and much more! Clearly, by killing our gut flora (Gut Bacteria), our health IS being destroyed!
Glyphosate is present in breast milk of American mothers, at a rate of 760 to 1600 times higher than the allowed limits in European drinking water. To make things worst, additional chemicals in Roundup that are untested because they are classified as “inert”, yet according to a 2014 study in BioMed Research International, these chemicals are capable of amplifying the toxic effects of Roundup (GLYPHOSATE) hundreds of times over!
So, is gluten a REAL epidemic? You bet it is… when you understand that not only is the percentage of gluten contained in grains today higher than in the past, but also and most importantly, the grains that contain gluten (wheat, rye, barley) are poisoned by highly toxic ingredients (GLYPHOSATES)! If a person ingests poisoned grains, it is totally logical that the body reacts against it!
CONCLUSION: Do NOT buy any grains (gluten or not) unless they are CERTIFIED ORGANIC! And then, even if you buy only organic grains, you need to test yourself to see if you have reactions to gluten: If your reaction to gluten is positive, simply stop eating gluten! Otherwise your risks of developing autoimmune diseases or other degenerative diseases are VERY high.
Yours in Health,
Béatrice Legras Levinson, Naturopath & Certified GAPS Practitioner
Béatrice Levinson, Naturopath & Certified GAPS practitioner, sees patients world wide via SKYPE, FaceTime, and Telephone, as well as in-person in Montauroux and Paris. Consultations are all by appointment only. If you wish to have an appointment with Béatrice Levinson or if you have questions, please email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org.